Friday, July 5, 2013


Maybe because my health has been relatively drama-free for a while, my body decided it was time to shake things up a bit.

On the morning of K's birthday (Tuesday), I was in the shower when I started to feel lightheaded and weak. I got out and began to shake. Things went black for a moment, I vomited, and then I felt better. Sort of. My head began to throb and it didn't stop for the rest of the day and into Wednesday. On Wednesday afternoon, enough people put the pressure on me to get checked out by my doctor. By this time, I was also having occasional chest pains and a racing heartbeat. Despite several checks of my blood pressure and pulse, neither were going down. So, my doctor gave me a choice: did I want her to call 911 or could someone take me to the hospital?

Since no one was available to drive me and because I didn't think it was necessary to be riding in an ambulance, I opted to sign a waiver and drove myself. My mom met me in the ER and the words "chest" and "pain" got me back into a room almost immediately. After blood work, an EKG, and a chest x-ray, we still didn't have answers. So, what was next?

They wanted me to spend the night for observation.

Last year, on the 4th of July, we'd just become parents and we spent our day with K in the NICU - learning for the first time that we might be in the hospital for quite a few weeks. I was determined not to have a repeat of that day, a day spent stuck inside of those sterilized walls without a window in sight. I NEEDED to get out of there.

Luckily, all of my tests came back clear, and I was discharged around noon on July 4th.

Unluckily, we still don't know what happened. The doctor suggested that it might have something to do with my migraine history. Joey and I have a different theory: while I was in the shower, I was in an awful lot of pain. AF was here, and she's been increasingly painful each month (leading me to believe my endo is back, or I'm getting cysts again, or maybe both). I think that the combination of the pain and the hot shower and probably some hormonal fluctuation caused this to happen, and in turn caused the two-day headache that left me feeling so "off." Especially since my headaches usually coincide with my cycle.

I'm supposed to follow up with my regular doctor next week, but I think I'll also be calling my gynecologist.

I just hope that this call doesn't lead to another repeat - of me back on a surgical table.


mommy someday said...

Hope everything turns out okay!

M said...

I'm glad you are okay- but I hope you can find the root of this and feel better.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That is really scary. Glad the tests came back clear, but also hope you have an answer soon.

Jen said...

That sounds very scary. It always sucks to not have answers, but glad to hear you didn't find out anything too horrible.

someday-soon said...

That is so scary! Hope your follow up goes well and it doesn't lead to surgery {{{HUGS}}}

Geochick said...