1. Well, we didn't go over the fiscal cliff. And Congress made the adoption tax credit permanent, which is great. But they didn't make it refundable, and the Family Act was not considered as part of the deal. The good news is that a new session is starting soon, so maybe they will all get their heads on straight and pass some legislation that is meaningful to those of us fighting infertility. Please make sure that you contact your Senators and Representatives, and urge them to 1. support the Family Act and 2. make the Adoption Tax Credit refundable.
2. This will be the year of ultrasound parties. Creepy.
3. Just before the New Year, Russia banned all adoptions to the United States. I am incredibly sad over the decision to make orphans pawns in this political chess game. But I'm more upset reading the reaction from Americans who believe that we shouldn't be adopting children from other countries in the first place. Take, for example, the letter to the editor published in my local paper yesterday. (Don't worry. I responded.) It must be the same group of people who think that infertiles should "just adopt" and "save the children."
4. The Creme de la Creme of 2012 is up! Go read some of last year's most amazing posts. Mine is number 61. Thank you so much to Mel for doing this for our community each year.
and last, a personal note:
5. Danica turned 4 years old on January 1, and K turned 6 months old on the 2nd. Both of my girls are growing up. I have a 6-month update for K half written, and I promise to have that posted soon. Overall, things are going well and our family is looking forward to what 2013 has to offer. :)