Yesterday, we went back to the RE to talk about my latest round of blood work and how I'm doing post medically-induced menopause.
My prolactin levels are still too low. There is no evidence that having extremely low prolactin is dangerous, but he still wants to bring it back up to a reasonable level. This meant another dosage change. I'm now taking half a pill every other week, and he wants me retested in two months. Hopefully this is the last time we need to make an adjustment.
Since stopping my hormone suppression, I've had three periods: November 15, December 11, and January 5. My cycles are shorter than they used to be, but he seems happy that I'm at least cycling on my own. I go in this month for a progesterone check to see if I'm ovulating, then he wants me to have two more normal periods before we talk about going back on medication (though this time it would be regular birth control; no more forced menopause).
He's still not 100% sure what's wrong with me. He just describes it as some kind of miscommunication between my pituitary gland and my ovaries. But as of yesterday, I've been cyst free for 8 months. So the combination of being on medication for my pituitary and shutting down ovulation is working, and that's what we'll continue to do moving forward.
Before I was hesitant to go back on hormones right away. Now that I've had time to sit back and reflect, I think it's the smartest decision. Being off of them for an extended period of time could give the cysts a chance to come back, and I'm not sure I want to take that risk - especially knowing that any more large cysts on my left ovary means surgery and, most likely, losing that ovary. Birth control seems like the best option. I've gone from "I don't want anything to do with birth control" to "I can't get on the pill fast enough."
It's funny how things have changed.