Friday, November 18, 2011

day 10

We went from two phone calls in the first week to zero in the second week. I joked with Joey the other day that we probably won't get another call for about six months or so. I'm okay, though. I certainly didn't expect two calls in week 1 of the wait, nor did I expect this week to be a repeat of that.

I had a chance to meet some of the people from our agency last weekend when I spoke at a local adoption and fertility conference. They were all incredibly nice and uplifting. All of them recognized me from our profile, and they said nothing but positive things about our profile and us. It certainly helps to hear that - and I'll remind myself of this every day we don't get a call.

Aside from registering, getting the nursery finished (eventually), and admiring adorable and expensive diaper bags, we're working on other projects to pass the time before we're matched. I'll be starting a journal for the baby soon. We are also starting to tour daycare centers. Oh. My. GOD. Are these places a rip-off or what? 4 babies to 1 adult. No we won't use your cloth diapers (even with disposable liners). Yes we will let your baby cry for long periods of time - since we have other babies to look after, too. And you can have all of this for the monthly price of "way more than your mortgage." Insane. I went into the wrong business. It's forced me to consider alternate childcare options, including nannies and in-home daycare facilities. I have tons of research ahead of me.

To those of you who adopted or who are still in the process: what did YOU do to pass the time?


dee said...

We matched today. The wait wasn't too long (just over two months). But to pass the time, I whined a whole lot and window shopped on the internet :)

The first time I adopted, the wait for a match took a year. I mostly did a whole lot of internet browsing then, too.

It Is What It Is said...

My best advice for this wait or even the wait(s) in ART is to live your life. Once you have done your part (agency, profile, home study, etc) the best thing you can do is to live your life.

It will change and hopefully one day soon :)

Ted and Maria said...

We're simply living life, as It Is What It Is says.....there's just so much to do! We haven't even started our home study yet, so I guess we aren't officially in wait mode, but imagine it's similar to waiting for a next cycle....and we usually just live. I'll probably add some window shopping for the baby's room, too. :-)

Rebecca said...

No good advice for the wait. I know I'd be all over trolling the Internet myself to pass the time.

I hope the time goes quickly!

Trisha said...

When you're waiting the time seems to be in slow motion. We just kept on living and tried to stay as busy as possible (we're busy anyways so that helped). Volunteer, travel, do things that you won't be able to do or that will be more difficult to do with a newborn. I also started collecting coupons for necessities...mainly diapers and wipes. When I saw a really good sale, I'd buy them. It's been nice, we haven't bought any of that stuff since we brought Garrett home :)

Kandid Kelli said...

Katie I recommend nannies over home care daycares. A friend of mine found a home daycare and her son was plopped down in front of a TV and she had multiple bad experiences when she picked him up and he was in a soiled diaper with a diaper rash.

I found our babysitter on Care.Com and I don't know how I lived without her. She is wonderful.

I interviewed 6 girls and she was the best. Granted I was only looking for a sitter but there are plenty of nannies on the site too. I highly recommend taking a look at the site.

I hope this helps.


Glass Case of Emotion said...

I keep myself busy. Reading, video games, board games, cooking, plans with friends, projects lined up at home... whatever it takes to keep me from getting idle...For the first two months I worked hard on the registry. After awhile, I needed non-baby projects though as it got depressing.

I had a bunch of calls in a few weeks and it's been a dry spell. Maybe not a lot of babies being born?

Logical Libby said...

I drank.

Kidding. Kind of.

And don't get me started on day care centers. I took my nephew to tour them with me to get a "kids eye" view. There were a couple where he just looked terrified, and one he said "smelled like the zoo."

Good luck!

KRISTI said...

Love your idea of a Nanny.

I completely organized my house (although you seemed really organized, already), read a lot for FUN, researched a lot (baby carriers, cloth diapers, baby stuff!)

Pix said...

It seemed like forever while waiting! We adopted internationally, so after getting matched, we had another 3 months of waiting to travel and bring our baby home. Total process took us about 1 1/2 years. I thought I would go mad. I started competing in trail runs (which meant I had to train during the week) and that helped a ton. We also had a lot of weekends planned out on the calendar for fixing his room, camping, trail races, etc. so the weeks went pretty fast. I'd suggest also cleaning out closets/organizing. I didn't do enough of that and wish I had! Have also heard folks who prepare lots of freezer meals b/c once that sweetie gets there, it can be hard to adjust to the new schedule. For us, it meant I had little to no time to cook like I used to, and when I had the time, I didn't have the energy!

Pix--Cheese Curds and Kimchi

Jin said...

Boo about the daycares! We briefly looked into nannies and found they were the same cost if not more than our daycare center. And we weren't to comfy with having just one person with her - in case the nanny got sick and with our wack job schedules, regular daycare fit better. It took us a while to find a place I loved and was comfortable with...and she loves it there too, which is the bigger thing. Hope you guys find something!